Local NPL run down


After a four month delay, NPL action got underway for the 2020 season over the weekend. Here is the report card for our local NPL teams in round 1.


Sydney University 3-1 Macarthur Rams

The Champions Sydney University opened their campaign at Sydney Uni Football Ground, hosting the Macarthur Rams. It was a tight first half with Uni edging the visitors 2-1. They added another in the second half to claim all three points and the victory. Nikki Flannery scored two while Julie-Anne Russell got the other. For Macarthur, Patty Charalambous found the back of the net.

Northern Tigers 9-2 Bankstown City

It was a goal bonanza at North Turramurra Rec Area as the Northern Tigers took on Bankstown City. A three-nil half time lead was only the start of Bankstown’s woes. Another six goals conceded in the second half was only made slightly better with two consolation goals. Two hat-tricks, one each to Daisy Arrowsmith and Lauren Allan, Maddie Bart with a brace and Hannah McNulty scoring the ninth.


North Shore Mariners 3 defeated SD Raiders 1

North Shore Mariners downed a resolute SD Raiders FC 3-1 in their opening contest at Northbridge Oval on Sunday afternoon to round off the first weekend of action. The Mariners got off to a fast start, scoring twice in quick succession through Evelyn Chronis to give them a two-goal buffer headed into the break. The second half was a much more open affair with both sides pushing forward and trading chances. SD Raiders pulled a goal back in the second half through Sarah Mandile. The play started on the left then fell to Brooke Hankin, who turned well and played in Mandile to fire home for 2-1. Rochelle Johnson added gave the Mariners their two-goal buffer back late with a strike to gift the home team all three points. Both coaches were pleased with the effort in the first game back from the lockdown and look to brighter times next weekend.

Marconi Stallions had the bye.


NWS Spirit FC 4 v Bonnyrigg White Eagles 0

Spirit FC made home advantage count to record the biggest win of the weekend, a surprise result against a fellow title contender. David Perkovic’s side got out of the blocks quickly, taking the lead on the quarter hour. Aaron D’Mello timed his far post run perfectly to meet a cross from the right side, tucking the ball away from close range. Far post runs were the order of the day for Spirit, and just after the break they made it 2-0, Pat Cappuccio getting round the back of the defence at a corner kick and sending a left footed strike into the net. Perkovic then used his bench to great effect as Michael Konestabo came on and grabbed a late double. It was 3-0 after Cappuccio played a great switch of play to find Konestabo, who held off the defence and finished well. Konestabo then rounded off the scoring with a cool finish after racing onto Emilio Manos’s through ball.

SD Raiders 2 v Hills United 3

Hills United’s Championship defence is off to the best possible start after a successful trip to Ernie Smith Reserve. Last year’s Grand Final winners made a great start, drawing first blood inside five minutes as Wade Giovenali volleyed home after a lovely dinked cross from Adolph Koudakpo. Jordan Parfait then made his mark on his return to Hills, whipping in a fantastic cross for Jacob Basden to head home. SD Raiders would halve the deficit with about half an hour to play, Noah Chianese showing his volleying technique to score after Diego Molina set him up. However, from the restart Parfait went on a mazy run through the defence, winning a penalty: Bradley Robertson made no mistake from the spot to restore United’s two goal buffer. A stunning 30 yard bomb from Raiders midfielder Alvaro Malmierca ensured a grandstand finish, but Hills would hang on for a first-up win.


Central Coast United FC – Bankstown United FC 0-0

Central Coast and Bankstown United could not be split as they registered a 0-0 stalemate at Pluim Park on Saturday night. A tense first half saw much of the action take place in the middle of the pitch as both sides readjusted after the long layoff. The best chance to break the deadlock fell the way of Bankstown midfielder Alex Salgueira on 80 minutes after he found himself unmarked in the six-yard area however his effort sailed wide – much to the relief of Central Coast. The Pirates will be hoping to record their first win of the campaign when they visit Dunbar next Saturday while Bankstown will be aiming for all three points when they meet the Hawks at Jensen Park next round.

Macarthur Rams FC – Dunbar Rovers FC 3-6

Dunbar Rovers came from behind to seal a 6-3 win against Macarthur Rams at Lynwood Park on Saturday night. The home side established a healthy 2-0 lead heading into the break thanks to goals from Fabian Sosa and captain Mark Symington. Dunbar pulled one back shortly after the restart however the Rams were quick to respond as Symington scored his brace in fashion with a long-range effort. The hosts unfortunately took their foot off the pedal from there on in and Dunbar took advantage – scoring three goals in quick succession to sail to a 4-3 lead. Macarthur pushed players forwards to equalise however that left gaps in defence which were punished by the visitors who added two late goals to put the contest beyond hosts’ reach. Dunbar’s next test is a home fixture against Central Coast at Heffron Park while Macarthur make the trip to the inner west to meet Dully.

Bankstown City FC – Canterbury Bankstown FC 2-0

Bankstown City claimed the bragging rights in the derby against Canterbury Bankstown coming out on top 2-0 in their affair at Jensen Park on Sunday afternoon. The first goal arrived around 25 minutes in after Stefan Dubocanin headed in Ante Tomic’s corner. The Lions’ second goal came with around 10 minutes remaining via Jonathan Grozdanovski after he headed home Chris Triantis’ corner. City’s next match sees them face off against Inter while the Berries welcome Magic at the Crest.


Camden Tigers 0-1 Western NSW FC

Well, Western NSW FC were close to taking the three points home the first time these sides met months ago. And they weren’t going to let another chance go by this time narrowly beating Camden Tigers on Saturday night. The first half was a tale of two sides getting the ball into good areas yet lacking the composure to finish of their chances. Camden on the one hand, hit both the post and crossbar, whilst Daniel Baumgartner had the best of Western NSW’s chances. Much like the first half, both sides were able to create chances of their own, Camden hitting the post once again whilst also seeing a ball cleared off the line. Whilst Western NSW were able to convert a chance with 15 minutes to go which decided the match. A Daniel Baumgartner free kick found Paul Long who rose highest to sneak a header in at the far post. Western NSW coach Mark Rooke wanted to pay special tribute to young keeper Jordan Bruce who stepped in when required and made several good saves.

Credit: Football NSW