Local NPL Recap


The heavy rain didn’t stop our local teams playing on the pitch over the weekend. Here is how our local NPL teams went.


Bankstown City 1-5 Sydney Olympic

Sydney Olympic took full control at Jensen Park, defeating Bankstown City on a wet Sunday afternoon. It was almost done at the break with Olympic leading 2-0 at the break. Bankstown pulled back a consolation, but it was all Sydney Olympic. Cortnee Vine scored a brace, Mackenzie Hawkesby Angelique Hristodoulou and Alexia Karrys-Stahl also all got on the scoresheet for Olympic while Maryam Mostaghimi scored for Bankstown.

NWS Koalas 2-1 Macarthur Rams (Interrupted) 

When it rains, it pours at Christie Park and Sunday evening was no different as the Macarthur Rams took on the NWS Koalas. The home side would take the lead on the 20-minute mark through Sophie Harding after a fine ball by Nat Tobin. Macarthur won a penalty at the half hour mark and Patty Charalambous made no mistake from the spot to make it 1-1. All that was for nothing though as Nat Tobin scored an absolute bomb in first half stoppage time. She let fly with a rocket from almost 30 metres out, giving Sham Khamis no chance. That would be all though as the poor weather took it’s toll.


Central Coast Mariners 0 defeated by Marconi Stallions 1

It took a moment of magic from Lauren Featherstone to settle the top four clash between Central Coast Mariners and Marconi Stallions on a windy afternoon at Pluim Park. Both teams were undefeated headed into the clash and started out their work fast. The Stallions lost Kaiya Buchanan in the first few minutes. The Stallions found it hard to break down a dogged Mariners defensive line with a disallowed Danielle Bishop goal the best chance. Knowing they needed something special to break the deadlock. Lauren Featherstone stepped up after Doris Osman was fouled on the edge of the box. Featherstone flighted the ball into the top corner for the 1-nil result. The first start for Renee Tomkins back was vital to helping the Stallions see out the contest on a tough afternoon of football. Afterwards Mariners coach Dan Barrett admitted his side got away from their structures and style this week after two impressive results previous.

SD Raiders FC had the bye.


Sydney United 1 –0 North Shore Mariners

An injury-time goal from young gun Michael Ruhs broke the hearts of the North Shore Mariners as Sydney United 58 claimed a dramatic 1-0 win at Sydney United Sports Centre on Sunday. In wild, wet and windy conditions, both teams had their chances but failed to make the most of their opportunities. That was until Ruhs made his final moment of the game count, rocketing a driven shot into the top right corner to snatch the win after a slick one-two around the Mariners defence. Neither side truly dominated the game but the Mariners reliance on counterattack gave the home side the possession required to find the match-winner. Thomas Manos was in fine form for United 58 making several key stops in a confidence-building win for the Zeljko Kalac coached outfit.

Rockdale Ilinden 1 v 0 Marconi Stallions

Rockdale Ilinden have shocked Marconi Stallions to snatch a 1-0 win at a rain-soaked Ilinden Sports Centre on Sunday. A 37-minute strike from Kyle Cimenti was the difference as the home side did enough to claim a huge result despite treacherous weather conditions. Rockdale started the game strongly and took the match to their opponents from the first whistle. They found the breakthrough with less than 10 minutes to go until the interval when Cimenti swept up from close range after Stallions keeper Nenad Vekic parried a shot from Nikola Taneski. Marconi returned from the interval with a newfound vigour and fought their way back into the contest. The introduction of Martin Fernandez proved to be a turning point for the visitors with the substitute getting the Rockdale defence on the back foot. However, it wasn’t to be their night as the home side clung on thanks to some brilliant defending and a few key saves from shot-stopper David Bradasevic to secure all three competition points


Bonnyrigg White Eagles 2 – 0 St George City FA

A pair of goals just before halftime took Bonnyrigg to their second win of the season. White Eagles forward Asmir Kadric was the first player to have a clear sight of goal when he received a pass from Bradie Smith, but he shot over under pressure from Tomi Romic and Dominic Brischetto. City defender Stephen Athanaseris then did well to make a block after Ray Miller set up Richie Darko. Both goalkeepers were kept busy as Stefan Giglio rushed off his line to deny Joshua Keremelevski and Romic made an excellent low save from Darko. City would have a decent spell with both Nathan Roberts and Hiten Satoh flashing long range efforts over the crossbar. However, with halftime approaching the hosts struck twice. Jack Armson opened the scoring with a clinical left footed shot after good work from Mun-Soo Gil and Aaron Peterson, then it was 2-0 just over 60 seconds later as Kadric and Peterson linked on the counter, star club captain Ray Miller finishing from an acute angle. City came out for the second half with renewed purpose and new signing Jacob Gjorsevski had a couple of chances, one of which was saved well by Giglio. However, Bonnyrigg soon regained control, with both Kadric and Hiyori Kawaguchi threatening from the edge of the area. They could have even added to their tally in the closing stages, but Romic made good saves from Kadric and Aidan Taouil.

NWS Spirit FC 3 – 1 SD Raiders

Spirit FC bounced back from last week’s defeat to record their third home victory of the season. The Raiders were close to scoring early on as Jack Greenwood dove full length to keep out a Matias Toro Suazo header. At the other end, Spirit marksman Duncan Stewart was denied by a goal line clearance from James Letta. A stalemate began to develop as the Raiders defended well against Spirit’s combination play, however the deadlock was broken in first half stoppage time when Michael Konestabo charged into the area and won a penalty. Stewart stepped up and placed the spot kick into the top corner to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. It was the visitors who started the second period brightly, and the Raiders won a number of set pieces in dangerous positions, while Noah Chianese also tested Greenwood from outside the area. Nick Carle’s side would be rewarded for their play just after the hour mark when Adrian Valenti released Anthony Proia, the striker sending a shot through the goalkeeper’s legs for the equaliser. Spirit responded well and regained the lead inside the final 20 minutes: Stewart sprinted onto a Jacob Harris pass and squared the ball for Louis Bozanic to score from close range. Greenwood would be called upon again to save from Raiders substitute Daniel Marjanovic before the home side sealed victory with eight minutes remaining. Stewart was involved again as he linked with Emilio Manos to find Andy Robertson, who scored to cap off an energetic performance.


Bankstown United FC 2 – 2 Inter Lions FC

Bankstown United and Inter Lions could not be split with 2-2 the full-time score at Jensen Park on Saturday night. Inter drew first blood in this fixture after Fikret Berisha’s strike sailed into the back of the net after he was played in by Nico Paras in the 34th minute. That goal was enough to keep the visitors ahead as they went into the interval however United levelled the scoring almost instantly after the break through a well worked goal that was capped off with an equally as impressive finish from Dalibor Malesevic. Inter’s night then went from bad to worse after they had their captain Dom Tripodi sent off for dissent with around half an hour left on the clock.

However, going a man down seemed to have acted as a boost for the men from Concord as they regained their lead via an expert Paras finish in the 75th minute. Once again Bankstown managed to peg back the scoring, this time through Kallie Bangura as he rose highest at the back post to head home his side’s equaliser on 78 minutes. The draw sees United drop to 6th on the league ladder with five points whilst Inter jump up one position into 9th with four points.

Bankstown will be playing out of Jensen Park for the second week running when they host Dulwich Hill next weekend while Inter welcome Sydney Uni to Majors Bay Reserve.

Macarthur Rams FC 0-2 Canterbury Bankstown FC

Canterbury Bankstown ran out 2-0 winners against Macarthur Rams at Lynwood Park on Saturday night. This match began with plenty of intensity as both sides came out of the gates firing. It was the Berries who created the first chance of note in the 20th minute after Nikita Andricopoulos’ strike came off the inside of the post before being cleared. The visitors broke the deadlock five minutes later when Rams’ shot stopper Jacob Madden punched the ball into his own net after Berries’ attackers made life difficult for the goal keeper as they looked to connect with Jake Bradshaw’s ball into the area. The second half continued with the same high tempo and it was not too long before the travelling supporters were treated to another goal when Andrija Mandic dispatched his penalty in the 55th minute.Wally Savor’s side managed to keep a spirited Macarthur at bay as they secured their third win on the bounce as well as collecting a highly sought-after clean sheet in the process.The three points means that the Berries retain 3rd spot on the table with 9 points while the Rams drop to 10th with 3 points. A home clash against Dunbar awaits the Berries next round while Macarthur make the trip to Christie Park to take on Gladesville.

Rydalmere Lions FC 4-0 Bankstown City FC 

Rydalmere Lions’ perfect start to the campaign remains intact after they triumphed 4-0 against Bankstown City at Rydalmere Park on Saturday night. The hosts took the lead thanks to Scott Tonkin after he headed home Jake Chidiac’s perfectly struck corner. Both teams were forced into the sheds shortly after due to lightning which threatened to postpone the fixture. Thankfully, it passed and the players returned to the pitch to play out the remainder of the game. Bankstown’s Carl Mcmahon proved to be his side’s saviour for the remainder of the first half as he ensured that Rydalmere didn’t extend their advantage with a string of important saves. However, all Mcmahon’s hard work came undone after the interval thanks to three goals from the home side. Matt West was brought down in the penalty box and dusted himself off before converting the resulting spot kick and did the same again later in the half when Jamie Craig was fouled in the area. Rydalmere’s Lee Jones scored the fourth and final goal of the night with his effort close to the full-time whistle. The victory means that the home side leapfrog the Hawks into top spot on the table whilst Bankstown move down one position into 5th. Rydalmere will be at home again next weekend when they entertain Central Coast while Bankstown will be on the road for the second week running when they visit Stanmore.


Prospect United 2-2 Camden Tigers

Prospect United and Camden Tigers played out a high scoring draw on Saturday night. Yes, it is a result of which benefits neither team having both held a lead at different points of the fixture. Camden Tigers were the first team to take the ascendency having been awarded a penalty in the opening stages of the fixture. Cormack Stevens stepping up and duly converting. Prospect United, perhaps feeling they were wronged responded positively scoring a goal 15 mins later through David Muller. Muller finding the net from a 25 metre free kick. Not being a team to settle at one, Prospect then controlled possession well either side of half time and were rewarded with a second. Matt Morosin capping off a slick passing move, finishing from an angle. A response was needed from the visitors, and it came from a set-piece, Matt Harvey finding the bottom corner. Both teams then had chances for a knockout punch, but ultimately came up short, settling for a point.

Credit: Football NSW