Local NPL Review: 13/9/20


With only a few rounds left of the NPL competition, let’s recap how our local NPL teams did over the weekend.


Emerging Jets 1-3 Macarthur Rams

At Lake Macquarie it was a massive win for the Macarthur Rams against the Emerging Jets. It was the young side who took the lead though in the 12th minute following a corner.Not long before half time the Rams would find the equaliser to go into the break at 1-1. Twenty minutes from full time it was a collectors item as Renee Rollason scored a header. The final nail in the coffin came in the 90th minute as Leena Khamis found the back of the net to make it 3-1.

Manly United 6-1 Bankstown City

It was one way traffic at Cromer Park as Manly United came away with all three points. The home side’s dominance was obvious at the break as they went into the sheds leading 4-1. Two more goals in the second half rounded off the 6-1 victory. Tara Andrews scored a hat trick while Chloe O’Brien, Remy Siemsen and Claudia Cholakian all got themselves on the score sheet. Isabella Di Sipio scored Bankstown’s consolation.


Central Coast Mariners 1 defeated SD Raiders FC 0

Central Coast Mariners moved into third spot after their tense 1-nil success against a dogged SD Raiders FC side at Pluim Park on Sunday afternoon. The yellow-and-navy were made to work for the result against a tough SD Raiders FC who matched it with the finals chasing side for much of the contest. Sarah Mandile had the best chance for the visitors when she crashed an effort against the post. They left it late, but the Mariners scrambled home the winner to make it back-to-back successes and almost solidify their top four spot. Betsy Blackwood swept home the ball in the 85th minute to open her account for the season. SD Raiders FC might not have the results this season, but there is plenty for the side to look forward to in 2021. There were good performances from Mandile, Kate Mateffy and Erin Phelan to build on for the next fortnight and finish on a high.

Inter Lions & Marconi Stallions had the bye


Marconi Stallions 3 (Fernandez 17′, Frangie 20′, Millgate 29′) – Mt Druitt Town Rangers 0 at Marconi Stadium.

A first-half attacking masterclass has helped Marconi Stallions to a dominant 3-0 win against Mt Druitt Town Rangers at Marconi Stadium on Sunday. Three strikes in the opening 45 minutes was enough for the Peter Tsekenis coached side as they ended Mt Druitt’s winning run. Marconi opened the scoring in style when midfield maestro Martin Fernandez fired an absolute thunderbolt into the top left corner from 30 yards out. The young gun has been hitting the headlines during the reboot of the NPL NSW Men’s season with potential A-League suitors flocking in catching a glimpse of one of this league’s hottest prospects. It set the tone for the match and within only three minutes the Stallions had doubled their lead. After stunning run down the left-wing, Mitch Mallia fired in a cross into the box which was dispatched by Anthony Frangie into the back of the net with a sublime volley. Defender Nathan Millgate made it three goals for Marconi within ten minutes when he headed home to make it 3-0 for the home side. The lead allowed the Stallions to ease up in the second half and while Mt Druitt kept fighting, they were unable to break into the contest. The victory boosted Marconi’s premiership hopes as they moved in third spot.

Sydney United 58 4 (Clut 23′ Sim 66′ Antelmi 71′ Khoury 89′) – Western Sydney Wanderers 2 (Jordan 10′, Mourdoukoutas 25′) at Sydney United Sports Centre

The Wanderers took the game to United 58 from the opening whistle and were rewarded with a Rory Jordan goal only ten minutes in. The goal shook United 58 into action with Devante Clut firing in an equaliser with a brilliant finish from outside the box. The Wanderers responded rapidly as A-League first-teamer Tass Mourdoukoutas tapped home from a few yards out to put the visitors back into the lead. Western Sydney would hold their 2-1 lead into the break but they would face a fired-up United 58 side after the restart. The home side were rewarded for their high tempo football as Matt Sim equalised with an impressive finish after beating two defenders. Only five minutes later, United 58 were In the lead as Patrick Antelmi continued his sensational scoring run to make it 3-2 for the Anthony Crea coached team. A Jackson Khoury goal in the final minute of the match wrapped up victory for United 58 moving them up to second on the ladder.


Hills United 0 Bonnyrigg White Eagles 2 (Jack Armson 2’, Asmir Kadric 77’)

A solid victory at Lily Homes Stadium for Bonnyrigg means their top four position is nearly guaranteed. The White Eagles were ahead inside two minutes. Jack Armson started and finished the move: he intercepted the ball, then exchanged passes with Asmir Kadric and Ray Miller before firing a low left footed shot past Harrick Sinpraseuth. Hills United’s first chance fell to Stephan De Robillard after a barnstorming run from Adolph Koudakpo, however his shot was wide. Miller was inches too high with a 20 yard effort just before the half hour, and the Bonnyrigg skipper would send another shot over the crossbar after being picked out by Aidan Taouil. As halftime approached Koudakpo and De Robillard would combine again, with De Robillard’s header brilliantly saved by Stefan Giglio. In the second half, Armson could have doubled Bonnyrigg’s lead on a couple of occasions. It was nearly déjà vu when Miller set up Armson nine minutes after the restart, but Sinpraseuth was quick off his line to make the one on one save. Those two were at it again with just under 20 minutes remaining, as Armson found space in the area but couldn’t direct Miller’s cross into the goal. The White Eagles had no need to worry about the missed chances. Radovan Pavicevic made space on the left wing and crossed for Kadric, who blasted the ball past a crowd of bodies to make it 2-0. Bonnyrigg finished strongly as well – Judah Cleur and Pavicevic both hit the frame of the goal, while Hiyori Kawaguchi was denied by Sinpraseuth.

St George City FA 5 (Nathan Roberts 17’, Hiten Satoh 35’, Dominic Brischetto 48’, James Letta og 56’, Steve Kuzmanovski 74’) SD Raiders 4 (Anthony Proia 2’, Charles Abou Serhal 16’, Matias Toro Suazo 42’, Noah Chianese 78’)

There was non-stop action at Peakhurst Park, City eventually prevailing to move into seventh place. As you might expect with a nine goal thriller, it didn’t take long for the goals to flow. 90 seconds had been played when the Raiders kept a corner kick alive long enough for Anthony Proia to score from close range. It was 2-0 just past the quarter hour after Mathew Barkho won a penalty, Charles Abou Serhal picking out the bottom corner from 12 yards. City immediately responded with their own spot kick which was won and finished by Nathan Roberts. The equaliser also had a heavy Roberts influence, as he got the better of three opponents and cut the ball back for Hiten Satoh to score with a fine right foot strike. However, the Raiders would take the lead into the dressing sheds thanks to another set piece goal: Daniel Bittar’s corner kick was perfect for Matias Toro Suazo to leap above the crowd and head home. Things didn’t slow down in the second half – they rarely do in the NPL 2 NSW Men’s competition. City made it 3-3 when Dominic Brischetto converted a Troy Danaskos free kick, and took the lead for the first time when Satoh’s cross was turned into his own net by the unfortunate James Letta. The hosts found some breathing room with just over 15 minutes remaining as Tarik Ercan and Christopher Arditti (who had both been excellent all afternoon) combined to set up Steve Kuzmanovski, who rounded the keeper and tucked the ball away. However, a game like this was destined for a nailbiting ending, and the Raiders ensured just that when Noah Chianese beat the defence to Adrian Valenti’s cross. City’s attack was just too good on the day, and they kept their belief after falling behind early. SD Raiders couldn’t find a way to salvage a point, but there were positives: Bittar (normally a winger) performed well at fullback, and Sebastian Malfara is back from an ACL injury.


Canterbury Bankstown FC – Bankstown United FC 1-1

It ended all square at the Crest Athletic Centre with 1-1 the full time score between the Berries and Bankstown United. An even first half saw both sides create chances with Hayden Probert and Alex Salgueira testing the Berries’ resolve while Andre Guzman came close to opening the scoring for the hosts with his effort on the half hour mark. It was United who broke the deadlock on 62 minutes via debutant Andre Thomas after he volleyed home from close range after Berries goalkeeper Michael Figueira fumbled a cross into the box. Berries’ equaliser arrived 15 minutes later through Jackson Mcmenamie whose back post header found the back of the net. Special mention must go to United who fielded a side with an average age of 21 years and had a yet another one of their juniors make their first grade debut in 18-year-old Tyron Geany. A point each means that the Berries retain 3rd place on the ladder with 17 points while United also stay in 10th position with seven points to their name. Berries travel to Arlington Oval to face off against Dully next weekend whilst United return to Jensen Park to entertain Dunbar.

Bankstown City FC – Macarthur Rams FC 4-1

Bankstown City recorded their fifth straight win after they cruised to a 4-1 victory against Macarthur Rams at Jensen Park on Sunday afternoon. Two standout first half goals from Ante Tomic and a Rams’ goal meant that the home side had a 2-1 lead as they headed into the interval. Tomic turned provider for Nikola Todoroski in the second half after the ball rebounded off the Bankstown captain before nestling in the net. It was Jonathan Grozdanovski who weighed in with the Lions’ fourth and final goal when he slotted home after being played in by Todoroski. The win sees Bankstown keep hold of 2nd spot with 21 points while the Rams drop down one position into 9th with nine points. Bankstown are on the road next weekend as they go head to head against Central Coast while the Rams welcome the Hawks to Lynwood Park.


Hurstville FC 3-0 Camden Tigers FC

Finals hopes hanging by a thread, Hurstville FC needed to win against Camden Tigers Saturday night. And so, they did, securing a three-goal victory over their visitors from South West Sydney courtesy of goals to Jaefar Al Khulaifawi, Jesse Gagro and Julian Bittar. For the Tigers, they managed to control possession for sections of the match but failed to make it count in the front third. Indeed, it was a weekend for early goals, this time through Al Khulaifawi who cut inside onto his left after being fed from the back before finding the net. Their lead was doubled before the half time break, Pedro Almedia playing a give and go with his fullback before squaring it to Jesse Gagro to finish. The visitors responded positively, winning their fair share of possession. Despite this, the closest they came was a shot over the bar. Hurstville’s win was capped off late, courtesy of a Julian Bittar goal.