Local NPL Review: 20/9/20


With finals quickly approaching, let’s recap how our local NPL teams did over the weekend.


Macarthur Rams 0-6 Manly United

Total dominance at Lynwood Park as the travelling Manly United came away with a massive win against the Macarthur Rams. It was still a close game at the break with the away wide leading 2-0. They added another four in the second period though to come away with a massive 6-0 victory. A hat-trick to the superb Remy Siemsen as well as a brace for Tara Andrews and a goal for Chloe O’Brien.

Bankstown City 0-2 Blacktown Spartans

The Blacktown Spartans are one step closer to securing their finals place after they defeated bottom placed Bankstown. Ash Crofts had the away side in front in the first half to add to her tally of goals this campaign. It was 2-0 as the match came to a close with Crofts picking up her second of the afternoon for another three points.


SD Raiders FC 4 defeated Inter Lions 0

It was a successful close to SD Raiders FC home campaign this season with a comfortable 4-nil result against Inter Lions today at Ernie Smith Reserve. Today’s result gave SD Raiders FC moved into fifth position after this result which snapped a two-game losing streak. Kiara Coscia scored the only goal in the first half when she swept home from a goalmouth scramble. The second half was one-way traffic as SD Raiders FC piled on the pain. Coscia completed her brace whilst Erin Phelan slotted home her first of the season in the rout. It was an afternoon to remember for debutant Ella Abdul Massih who found the back of the net in the second half with a thumping header on a wonderful afternoon for SD Raiders FC.

St George FC vs Marconi Stallions was washed out


Sydney United 58 (Antelmi 65′, Sim 68′) 2 – Marconi Stallions (Jesic 23′) 1 at Sydney United Sports Centre

Sydney United 58 has shot to the top of the National Premier Leagues NSW Men’s competition with a 2-1 win against local rivals Marconi Stallions. A second-half flurry from United 58 was the turning point with the home side scoring two goals in three minutes to fight back from 1-0 down. United 58 were unlucky not to take the lead inside the first 20 minutes when Patrick Antelmi fired into the side netting after going around. However, it was Marconi who took the lead in the 23rd minute thanks to a textbook set-piece.  Marko Jesic headed home from close range after being set up from a lofted header from Nathan Millgate. Both sides were creating chances but lacked the finishing touch to capitalise on their opportunities. Marconi would hold their lead into the half time break, but United 58 was far from a beaten team after the first 45 minutes. It took only 15 minutes into the second stanza for the home side to hit back with Antelmi completing a sublime passing move. A brilliant ball from Yianni Perkatis found Glen Trifiro on the edge of the penalty area who then set up Antelmi to tap in with a cutting pass to the back post which dissected the Marconi defence. Moments later United 58 took the lead thanks to more brilliance from Perkatis. The midfielder delivered a well-weighted lofted ball over the backline which fell perfectly for Matt Sim to fire past the goalkeeper and make it 2-1 for the home side. It set up a tense finish to the match, but United 58 were able to cling on and take a vital three competition points which catapulted them to top of the competition ladder.


SD Raiders 4 (Noah Chianese 14’, Daniel Bittar 45+1’, Mathew Barkho 46’, Anthony Proia 90+5’) Newcastle Jets 4 (Maki Petratos 12’ 19’, Joseph Langlois 79’ Lucas Mauragis 90+4’)

After sharing nine goals with St George City FA last weekend, SD Raiders ended their campaign with another high scoring affair. Raiders winger Daniel Bittar was the first to go close for either side when his shot was deflected onto the crossbar. However, it was Newcastle who would draw first blood thanks to Maki Petratos. The Jets forward finished well (and celebrated with some acrobatics) after good lead up play from his brother Kosta and Archie Goodwin. The Raiders equalised almost immediately when Declan Cotter and Bittar combined to set up Noah Chianese for a headed goal. Any thoughts of the home side building some momentum were quashed though, when Maki Petratos capped off a move that started inside the Newcastle penalty area, taking a Jack Simmons pass and picking out the top corner to make it 2-1. Having scored one with his right foot and one with his left, Maki Petratos then almost completed a perfect hat trick near the end of the opening period, his header denied by Matias Toro Suazo’s goal line clearance. Instead, the sides would go into the interval on level terms as Bittar scored a tap-in from Chianese’s cross in first half stoppage time. I hope Nick Carle wrote down what he said at halftime, because the Raiders scored less than a minute into the second period, taking the lead for the first time all game. Chianese was the creator once again, getting the better of a defender and squaring for Mathew Barkho to fire home via the inside of the post. The chances kept coming, with both goalkeepers needing to be on high alert. Newcastle nearly scored a contender for goal of the season after brilliant interplay from Lucas Mauragis, Blake Archbold and Simmons, but Archbold’s shot was deflected to safety. The visitors kept pressing and made it 3-3 with a little over ten minutes left in normal time. There was an element of fortune about the goal – Joseph Langlois might have been intending to pick out a teammate, however his first time cross from the right floated over Raiders goalkeeper Joshua Glasson and into the top corner. As we entered stoppage time, Anthony Proia could have put the Raiders ahead, however Noah James saved his effort and Brohym Abdul Massih couldn’t hit the target from the rebound. Newcastle then went 4-3 up when Archbold set up Mauragis, who squeezed a 20-yard shot under Glasson. However, that wasn’t the end of the drama: from the kickoff, Chianese flicked a high pass into the danger zone, and Proia bundled the ball home at the second attempt to ensure the Raiders ended 2020 with a draw.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles 4 (Aidan Taouil 15’, Asmir Kadric 42’, Bradie Smith 73’, Radovan Pavicevic 83’) St George FC 1 (Mani Gonzalez 38’)

The White Eagles have soared into second place after defeating the Saints on home turf. Aidan Taouil opened the scoring on the quarter hour, receiving a pass from Aaron Peterson and sliding a left footed shot into the bottom corner. Bonnyrigg were looking good, and Bradie Smith sent a free kick over the crossbar as they sought to take control. However, the Saints equalised after Stefan Giglio slipped while rushing out of his area – Mani Gonzalez was never going to miss the opportunity to score into an open goal. The home side weren’t deterred though and put themselves in front at halftime after Jack Armson’s sensational through pass was finished with a neat dink from Asmir Kadric. St George FC started the second half brightly: Bruno Pivato played the ball tantalisingly across the face of goal, and a few minutes later set up Anthony Mann for a header which was saved. Hussein Akil also came close to a second equaliser, shooting over from the rebound after a Gonzalez shot was parried. At the other end, Bonnyrigg were threatening, with Judah Cleur’s 30-yard strike deflected wide of the goal, and Jacob Bandur almost heading a Kadric cross into his own net – the post saved the Saints defender. The White Eagles found another gear in the final 20 minutes. Smith gave St George FC a mountain to climb when he made it 3-1 by flicking a Sam Gallaway corner into the net. The points were then secured following a mazy run from Cleur. He beat three opponents and forced a save from Blake Tuxford, with substitute Radovan Pavicevic tucking the rebound away.


Central Coast United FC – Bankstown City FC 11-0

The floodgates opened at Pluim Park on Saturday night as Central Coast put 11 unanswered goals past a helpless Bankstown City. A lightning quick start to the match saw Central Coast go ahead on three minutes through Corey Atkinson after Cade Mapu squared it off from the right wing. Mapu then got his name on the scoresheet when he doubled his side’s lead around five minutes later before Tommy Lyons scored two from outside the box in quick succession to give the hosts a 4-0 lead within 25 minutes. Alex Arbelo was next to get in on the act with a fine piece of individual play which was matched with an equally as impressive finish. Skipper Daniel Mcfarlane put the Pirates 6-0 up just before the break after he broke through the visitor’s defence with the help of Lyons before making no mistake with his finish. Both Arbelo and McFarlane secured their hat-tricks after the interval before Mapu rounded off the scoring late on. The Pirates’ record victory won’t be forgotten anytime soon as they look to finish their season on a positive note when they travel to Berries next weekend. Bankstown will be hoping to erase the performance from their memory as they gear up for a derby against United.

Dulwich Hill FC – Canterbury Bankstown FC 1-1

Dulwich Hill and Berries could not be split with 1-1 the fulltime score at Arlington Oval on Saturday night. It took until the second half before the game sprung to life, with Berries’ Andre Guzman opening the scoring with a delightful finish after being picked out by Andrija Mandic’s searching pass on the 70th minute mark. Dully restored parity around 10 minutes later when Harry Browell headed home at the near post. The draw means that Dully move down one position into 8th on the league ladder while the Berries also shift down from 3rd into 4th place. Next up for Dully is an away fixture against Inter Lions while the Berries return to the Crest to take on a Pirates outfit which will be brimming with confidence.

Bankstown United FC – Dunbar Rovers FC 1-3

Dunbar Rovers returned to winning ways after they recorded a 3-1 win against Bankstown United at Jensen Park on Saturday night. The hosts had a golden chance to break the deadlock when Hayden Probert was brought down in the box on 22 minutes. However, departing club legend Jovan Miladinovic failed to convert the resulting spot kick. The breakthrough did eventually arrive, and it came via Lachie Willmore after he headed home a loose ball on the stroke of half time. A Dunbar revival in the second half saw them sweep past United with the first of their goals arriving on the hour mark through a Conor Earley free kick. Luiz Lobo put the visitors ahead for the first time in the encounter with a textbook volley from just outside the 18-yard area before Earley made sure of the points in style with an unstoppable strike from 30 yards out. The three points sees Dunbar jump into 6th position on the table while United drop one place into 11th. United will be aiming to take all three points from their derby clash next Sunday as they prepare to go head to head with a wounded Bankstown City outfit while Dunbar have a meeting with the 2020 Premiers at Heffron Park.

Macarthur Rams FC – Stanmore Hawks FC 0-1

Stanmore Hawks posted their first win since round three after they edged out Macarthur Rams 1-0 at Lynwood Park on Saturday night. The Hawks had a chance to go 1-0 up in the first half when Jonah Caragher came agonisingly close after his header rattled the crossbar. The deciding goal arrived in the 85th minute via Conor Quilligan after he combined with Marko Filipovic on the edge of the 18-yard area before placing the ball past the Rams’ shot stopper. This win gives the Hawks a glimmer of hope that they could qualify for finals football with the inner west side occupying 5th position on the ladder ahead of the last round. They will be aiming to get the job done against Magic next weekend and hope that Central Coast get one over the Berries. The defeats sees Macarthur drop down one place into 10th with a clash against Sydney Uni awaiting them in the final round


Camden Tigers FC 3-1 South Coast Flame FC

Two consecutive home victories, things are looking up for Camden Tigers after defeating South Coast Flame at Ron Dine Stadium. The hosts, despite an early scare looked assured in their victory. Finding the net through a brace to Lachlan Rixon and second half sealer to Nathan Bertolissio. For the visitors, it is another disappointing result for George Kulcsar’s side. They opened the scoring through Sandy Lowcock but were unable to capitalize. Indeed, it took only eight minutes for the visitors to open the scoring, Lowcock taking a nice touch before finishing from a corner. That lead did not last long though. The hosts equalizing three minutes later. Anthony Haddad finding Rixon with a ball over the top, Rixon finishing tidily. Rixon, confidence flowing through his veins then doubled the lead before the half time break, with a great left footed finish finding the net. The win was then capped off before the hour mark, Bertolissio making the Flame pay for a poor clearance to give the hosts a valuable buffer.